7/1/08

Vincent Dice Clay


Rosalie called me at work yesterday with the following information:

R: “Guess what Vincent just said?”

J: “What?” (Thinking it would be something too cute to believe.)

R: “Dammit.”

J: “Oh man. He said ‘Dammit?’

R: “Yep.”

You can imagine the rest. No it wasn’t a Christmas Story-esque soap in mouth screamfest. Rosalie just sat him down and explained to him that there are some words we shouldn’t use. She said he took it well and seemed to understand.

That was until I got home. He and I were playing and he stopped what he was doing, thought for a moment and out of the blue it came…

“Dammit.”

He was saying it just to see how I would react. I reacted very similarly to Rose and it was over for the night. I’m still left with the question many parents have – is it possible to protect your kids from hearing profanity?

Quick answer – NOPE.

Everybody curses. From family and friends on down to parents at the park mid-conversation when you happen to be walking by, to people ringing you up at the store (Yep.). It’s just a part of life.

I’m able to flip a switch when I get home and turn off my potty mouth but you never know when something may slip. Besides, what’s really the harm? I used to hear my friend’s parents curse up a storm (and I mean good ones, not little ones like “dammit”) when I was young and other than some colorful additions to my vocabulary, I’m no worse for wear.

Let’s look at the bright side, he didn’t drop the F bomb. Now we would’ve had a whole new set of problems.

P.S.: Where did he learn it from? Yeah, we asked him. And we’re not telling you what he said, dammit.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I know where he heard it from!!!! I see the offender 3 days a week! You would never think it would come out of their mouth!!

Kevin Regan said...

Holy Shit!
When asked where he learned it, he didn't say "Uncle Kevin," did he?