6/21/07

I'm a terrible parent.

I let my son drink mold.

The apple juice wasn't even that old. And if I didn't notice it when I poured it into his cup, it couldn't have been THAT bad, right?


Well 30 seconds after I gave Vincent his cup and headed back to the kitchen to make my breakfast I hear Rose say "JIM! TAKE THIS AWAY!" Now it wasn't so much that she was shouting at me. It's that she was shouting at the fact that I let mold slip past my eagle eyes. If it's one thing my wife hates, it's mold.


I think he only got one sip down before Rose caught it. Flecks of white in an otherwise delicious cup of organic apple juice. And that's probably the issue - that it was organic. No preservatives = goes bad more quickly. We've finally found the achilles heel in this whole organic thing.


P.S.: That's the last time we buy apple juice. This post shows you how often Vincent chooses it. And Rose and I don't like it anyway.


The moral of this story is that if one is addicted to coffee, one must not provide food or drink for another dependent human being without a couple of sips of said coffee. Motor functions (including eyesight) are not working without it. Gross things may occur.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're overreacting. Mold is, after all, the new Splenda.

rb

Jim said...

Okay - so Rose read this and would like to mention that "It was a pretty significant amount of mold, you know. It clogged the cup." I left that out because A.) It's disgusting and B.) It makes me look really, really bad.

-Editor

Kevin Regan said...

The real moral of this story is, let the kid drinnk Coke!

Angela said...

Similarly, I gave a friend's kid a moldy, not that old, organic apple sauce cup. I caught the glimmer of it right before it got to her mouth. I'm glad she's not so coordinated that the first bite went down without time for observation.
She hasn't eaten a snack at our house since.
Damn perishables.