8/14/09

The Experiment Begins

I came home yesterday to a dismantled crib and Vincent saying, "Pete's new bed is ready!"

Rosalie and I have been saying he needs his own bed for weeks now. He wakes up multiple times in the night bonking into the top or the sides. His pacifier (yep - still has it) falls out. He's two. It's time. So we were gifted a hand-me-down full-sized bed from our good friends Erick & Ellen and my wife took it upon herself to make it happen yesterday. By herself with two kids no less. She's a superhero. My only contribution was bringing the mattress upstairs.

Our plan, as it has been all along, was to put Peter's bed directly next to Vincent's. Meaning, no space between them. That way, Vincent can climb into Pete's bed if he wants and vice versa. Leaving Mommy & Daddy happily rested and content for all times.

Night 1 - not so much.

Not that we expected that but there was indeed some screaming involved. Pete wasn't used to it so he was crying. His crying woke Vincent up and made him cry. Both wanted us to stay with them. To their credit (and ours) though, we made them deal with it. We tucked them both back in, sat for a couple of minutes, then left. And it seemed to work. Part of that could have been how incredibly exhausted they both were (Vincent woke up around 6:15 to see me off to work) but we're proud of them. Let's see how Night 2 goes.

Oh - I know I've used the word, "experiment" in the title, implying that if this doesn't "work" we'll somehow change the plan or abandon it.

That would be an incorrect use of the word. It's going to work. Right?

1 comment:

Angela said...

I am fairly confident that Pete will not be a thirty-two year old man sleeping in a crib. So, yes, it will work. Good luck getting there!