3/13/09

The Ladybug Moment

Taking advantage of the mild weather last weekend, I took an hour or so to bag up some of the remaining leaves in our yard. Yes, they’re still there, thawing out. But that’s not what this is about.

Vincent joined me outside while Pete was napping and set out to helping me. What typically happens during this process is when I get a bag nearly full, I call out for some “stomping help.” One of the boys runs over, I pick him up and use his body as a flattening device, holding him and jumping him up and down on top of the leaves. They love it and it’s productive!
We had done this a few times when, getting back to the pile itself, I spot a ladybug. I call Vincent over and after some very gentle fumbling, we get her (they can’t all be female but for the sake of simplicity, we referred to it as a she) onto Vincent’s hand. She slowly crawls around, up his arm, onto the front of his shirt and he’s super excited.
I ask him what we should name her and after a moment of thoughtful deliberation, he says, “Boogies.”
“Boogies the ladybug?” I ask.
“Yeah!”
So he runs inside to show Rose his new friend, losing her and gently picking her back up (safely) in the process. Later he comes back out with Boogies and says he’s going to place her on a tree to live. He asks if he’ll be able to come out and see her everyday to which I reply that she may fly away to eat and see her family but that he’ll probably see other ladybugs again as Spring gets closer.
This satisfies him and he’s off to the swingset, leaving me to the leaves.
I’m recounting this story because although it was such a small moment, it was something I want to remember. I don’t know that years from now, I would have - had I not written it down. As our days and commutes get longer, I’m constantly trying to make the most of my time with the boys – enjoying little things like this.
So Boogies the Ladybug, wherever you are…Cheers.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

He did that at the shore too! Maybe Boogies came up to see him again!!! :)