12/7/08

Polar Express

Mom-Mom and Grampa and Aunt Maria, Uncle Joe and Caroline brought us along on an old-time West Chester Christmas train ride last weekend.

Yes friends, Santa himself was present. And yes, all three kids were totally cool with him. Confined quarters and all! Vincent's only stipulation was that I shake his hand (not one mention of gloves, btw).

It was a milestone. The whole thing was pretty cool to boot. Bluegrass musicians roaming through the cars playing carols, history lessons about the railroad itself, and a stop off at the Glen Mills train station "museum." I put the sarcastiquotes around that word since it was about 35 sq. feet of glass cases with old timey documents. Sexy!

Bottom line - the kids loved it and are now cool with seeing the physical embodiment of Santa. As long as there are snacks and grandparents present.

Music nerd comment: Does the photo above look kind of like the cover of Bon Iver's For Emma, Forever Ago?

2 comments:

Bald Ben said...

"sarcastiquotes" I don't know if this is something that has been around in the public conciousness for a long time or you just coined it, either way it's the greatest thing I have heard in a long time. I'll geek out with you for a second: Yes it does look like the cover of a record I can't seem to stop listening to. Glad too see the Bretts are in the holiday spirit. Hope all else is well

Jim said...

Hey Ben - I've heard "sarcastic quotes" but I think the combination of the two words might be a first. Let's go ahead and give me credit on that one.

Bon Iver - right? I only checked it out for the first time maybe 2 months ago and it's so great. Perfect winter record.