4/9/08

Wonka vs. Wonka

It’s been an all-out battle royale lately in our house over which version of the Willy Wonka story is better. Vincent has enjoyed the 1971 masterpiece (Yep – I said it. And no, we haven't read the book. We should. We know. Alright, already.) Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, starring Gene Wilder, for some time now. He’s into anything with sets of characters – Disney guys, Wizard of Oz, and now, good old Willy.

Aunt Amy and Uncle Will introduced him to the 2005 version – Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, a month or so ago and it was on TV this past weekend, so we checked it out. You know, a fresh perspective.

I for one, am not as big a fan of it as the ’71 film for several reasons. Johnny Depp, who’s still great, seems to play Willy from more of an unstable place that doesn’t do it for me. Gene Wilder is too ingrained in me, I guess. He was somewhat cuckoo, but still in control of his environment. I’m also not a fan of the Tim Burtonization of everything. The heavy, dark chrome factory is fun to look at but too heavy-handed in my opinion. Again, I’m probably too fond of the first to be truly nonbiased.

But enough about me.

Vincent seems to love the darker, creepier version as much as the older one. He’s got no problem with the melting dolls when the kids get introduced to Wonka (crazy, by the way.). He’s too young to reference Johnny Depp’s persona against Michael Jackson. And he doesn’t care that the oompa loompas look nothing like they do in the original. I mean, he asked questions at first but was satisfied with, “It’s just a different movie so they look different.”


I envy his ability to just enjoy each on it's own merit. "Yeah, Dad - I get it. They're different but they're the same. It's not that difficult."
Just another cool thing about being a kid - orange skin or not, all oompa loompas are the same, even if they're different. I think there's a life lesson in there.
Somewhere.

3 comments:

Kevin Regan said...

Doesn't Willy Wonka wear gloves? And wasn't his father a dentist?

I think the kid is making great strides!

Jim said...

Yes, Kevin he does. Vincent noticed that in the '05 version.

Scott said...

by the way, you're totally right. the new wonka blows. like we really need wonka's back story? ugh.