7/1/07

Vincent - The Musical!


As someone who has always been obsessed with music, I've wondered if my kids would pick up that trait and how it would develop. I think I have an answer. It seems that at the ripe old age of 2 1/2, Vincent may share the unhealthy obsession (Unhealthy, Jim? Yes - I'm currently importing my CDs into iTunes. I've been at it for almost 2 years now.).


It's great. He's always running around the house yelling out a tune he can't seem to shake. This month it's been "Yellow Submarine." I mean, it's like 40 times a day. I'm not kidding. He could be playing, eating, walking up the stairs - whatever it is, it's accompanied by song. And it never gets old.


He even picks which car we're going to take by the musical choices. Mommy's car has the Beatles (Revolver, of course), the latest borrowed Wiggles CD from the library and some of Daddy's band's old music (Not my idea, I swear.). Daddy's car has the iPod, so the selection is vast ("Daddy have Row, Row, Row??"). In fact, I've created a playlist just for him because he's gone through so many musical phases and moods in his short time on this Earth. Here are some exerpts from the 50-track VJB Dance Party!!:


"Yo-Ho (A Pirate's Life for Me)" - from the Disneyland Soundtrack

"Hot Dog!" - Mickey Mouse Clubhouse

"Toot-Toot Chugga Chugga Big Red Car" (and about 15 other Wiggles selections)

"Fibber Island" - They Might Be Giants (Daddy's personal favorite childrens' musicians.)

"Grey Squirrel" - an old folk song Mom-Mom sings to him when they see a squirrel outside (iTunes!)

"Hold on Tight" - Backyardigans (Greatest kids' show on TV)

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas - Gayla Peevey (Surprisingly enjoyable when listened to year-round)

And a really, really bad version of the Hokey Pokey that must be vanquished.


We're currently taking suggestions for new kid-friendly artists. The Dead Milkmen don't count, Kevin.


1 comment:

Kevin Regan said...

Big Lizard in My Backyard is a kids song.