8/9/10

Sometimes You're the Windshield...

I know, I know. It's been awhile. I've actually missed the heck out of blogging. No excuses. Let's just have at it.

I'll start back with an observation that's grown more keen over the past year or so. The hero/villain aspect of parenting. It's amazing how quickly we go from the ones they're coming to for help putting the stormtrooper's head back on to the one they don't want anything to do with. Let's give some examples:

Me home from work, walking in the door: Hey guys! How was your day?!
Pete: GO AWAY! GO BACK TO WORK!
Me: Um. Ok.

or

Vincent or Pete: I WANT TO SIT NEXT TO MOM-MOM!
Me: Ok - that's fine. But we have to figure it out because not everyone can sit next to her.
Pete: I don't lllwwwike you!
Me: Um - how'd we get here?

And so on. After a while you chalk it up to them being kids and it rolls right off. And it seems much more pronounced with Pete due to the extreme ferocity with which he approaches everything in life. Instead of, "Oh man. I was having fun with Vincent and Chief. Now Daddy's home and we have to get baths and hit the sack." It becomes, "NO! GO AWAY!"

Then one minute later it's all hugs and high-fives again. I'd actually like to play some Freaky Friday and try that out myself one day. "THIS BAGEL IS TERRIBLE!!! AAAAHHHHH!.....oh wait. It's fine. I wiped some of the cream cheese off...(whistling) doo dooodoooo."

Stay tuned for some summer catching up. Long haired kids, giant vegetable gardens, trips to different states. Let's do this thing.

No comments: