6/2/10

Little Bear: Zen or Evil?

What is it about this little Canadian fella? He's long been a TV staple in our house. At first, it went against our young, hipster parent credo. It wasn't oddball enough. Or terribly fun. I mean, it's just about a little bear who lives with his Mother Bear and Father Bear (who always wears a 3 piece suit with pocket watch, even while fishing) and plays with his friends, aptly named Duck, Owl, Cat, etc. He has little adventures through the wilderness but never encounters any real danger or challenge.

He just...is.

Vincent has always loved it. No matter how crazy the day, we could always put an episode on (divided into three, eight minute vignettes) and eight minutes later, he's totally mellowed out, breathing deeply and ready for bed.

Peter didn't take to it at first but he didn't really take to any TV. It wasn't until about 6 or 8 months ago that the same thing started happening to him. Same blank stare. Same zen-like trance.

There are times it happens to Rosalie and I, too. Originally, I chalked it up to the pastoral, classical soundtrack. Not to mention, we were usually watching it around 8pm when we'd both be ready for an evening nap.

But I think there's something more to it. I think the creators have something going on. Some kind of bad Juju disguised as zen. Pretty soon, we'll all be enveloped in one of Little Bear's adventures, watching him scamper about through the woods and BAM, there are paratroopers breaking through our windows, ET-style.

What are they after? I dunno. Haven't thought that far ahead yet. I just know something's up. A little bear told me.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Zen.

I agree.

And its on at 2pm.
Just when you think that your kids will neeeever nap after the craziness of a morning running outside, one episode and you are all ready to snooze.

I, personally, love that Canadian bear.