4/1/10

Itchy & Scratchy

As parents, we have to tread carefully with changes in personal appearance. Our kids' images of us are kind of fixed. They're comfortable knowing that Mommy and Daddy look like Mommy and Daddy. Get a wonky haircut, braces or a face tattoo and it throws it all off.

With that in mind, I grew a beard. Aaaand it's part of a contest.

I know. I know.

At least it's work-related, right? 18 of us are doing it and I stand a pretty good chance in the color category for my ginger-hued whiskers. Still - it wasn't an easy sell. It kind of went like this:

Me: "Hey guys, should I grow a beard?"

V&P: (unison) "No."

Me: "Why not?"

V: "Because."

Me: "Because why?"

V: "It'll be scratchy."
P: (1 second later) "It'll be scratchy."

Me: (hoping, reaching) "Maybe I'll look like Obi-Wan!!"

V: (pause) "No."

Me: "You don't think so?"

V: "It'll be scratchy."

Lesson learned. Don't mess with what you look like. At least a beard happens gradually. They'll be able to track its progress daily, along with its scratchiness. And I look forward to their feedback. I figured the more I hammer home the Star Wars connection, the better my chances are.

These padawans will learn yet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah, but you look like Obi Wan from the crappy trilogy, not the awesome one!