10/29/08

Dr. Strangeleaf or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Autumn.

You've heard me make mention of the multiple giant trees on our property. At first, I was pretty concerned about them, but after a few bad thunderstorms back in the summer and little to no damage, I learned to be ok with them. In fact, I kind of love them. They give our yard a nice woodsy feel. That's right, I said "woodsy."

But then - fall arrived. And along with fall came the leaves.

Oh how they came.

And these were taken before they got really bad. It's pretty amazing. I was talking with a neighbor who said, "I saw you out there raking last weekend and thought, 'I don't think he knows what he's in for.'" What she meant was that I was bringing a knife (my puny rake) to a gunfight (a monumentally large residential covering of leaves). I needed about 15 friends with rakes to make a dent (or Uncle John and a leaf blower).

Another neighbor with a mind boggling amount of leaves on his property said he would go halfsies on a leaf cleanup service but we'd have to wait for "all of them to fall." ALL OF THEM?! They'll be up the 2nd floor windows! How will we get in and out?!

On top of that, the photos included were taken a couple of weeks ago. Since then, with the championship hopes & dreams-postponing storms blowing things around, the piles are even larger.

Oh well, at least they're fun to jump in. D'aaah fall.

5 comments:

Bald Ben said...

Dude,

No smart, snarky comments here, as you know I grew up outside of Reading PA. We had tons and tons of large oak and maple trees in my yard. I kid you not, leaves up to our knees in the fall. Then we got 24, yep 24 trees cut down (this still left a ton) and after that the leaves just seemed to come up to mid calf. This may sound like I am complaining. I'm not. I love to rake leaves, something zen about it I guess.
You can set out with a mess and actually put it back in order.
I often comment about how I wish we had a yard so I could rake in the fall. If you need some help, I gotta huge rake....oh yeah double entendre intended.

That's a great title by the way...I always knew you were the smart one.

Jim said...

Wow - you've totally trumped me.

In all honesty, I enjoy raking as well. For the same reason I like mowing the lawn - taking something messy and cleaning it up.

You and I share that, it looks like. You and your huge rake can stop by anytime, rakey.

Bald Ben said...

Oddly enough I have a very paranoid father and he would never allow me to mow the lawn. Honestly he often had to get stiches in his shins due to rocks and what not. I maybe the only kid in America who pines away for mowing a lawn. So I suppose raking was just my way of replacing mowing. Damn I want a lawn....

Rakey

Jim said...

Hey - anytime you want to come over and help me mow, you're welcome to. We'll have a mowing party after we rake the living shit out of my lawn.

Bald Ben said...

That was another one of my Dad's fears in mowing....Dog Poop from the neigbors dog. The blades really whip it around....