9/8/08

Chachi Nature Watch

These little things have been dropping from the trees in our front yard at an exponential rate. We sweep them up and 2 hours later, the driveway is full of them again. We're kind of new to this whole trees-in-our-yard-that-aren't-dead thing so can any of our arborist/nature-loving friends help us out? Uncle John? Kate? Julie?

They're about the size of grapes and have little bristles on their shells.

What are they? When will they stop? Should we plant them? Eat them? Smoke them?

By the way - they hurt like hell when you step on them. That being said, it's kind of cool being amongst nature. Seriously. Sarcasm unintended.

7 comments:

Bald Ben said...

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like they are chestnuts. You know like the song...roasting fire and all that. Not sure, but you asked, I coulda told you they were venus fly traps or something. Stop bothering me I have to get back to work.

(I'm serious about the chestnuts.)

Jim said...

Really? I've eaten chestnuts before and they're larger than these. Maybe they're baby chestnuts?

Daaah baby chestnuts. Cute little fellas.

Bald Ben said...

I would imagine they just haven't grown enough. By the way I've heard about your "chestnut eating", there is no reason to bring that up here.

Jim said...

Is this Kevin Regan posting as "Bald Ben" or something?

Bald Ben said...

No, it is Bald Ben, but oddly enough when I wrote that I though, "Hmm, sounds like something Regan would write." So we can blame the sickness on Regan if it makes you feel better....

Kevin, why would your write something so gross! This is a family blog!Sheesh. See the next time we let you post.

Anonymous said...

they look like beechnuts to me :)

-Julie

Kevin Regan said...

Yeah, beechnuts...so nuts to you beeches! Word.